Guide Dogs Tasmania will be holding its ‘test drive a Guide Dog’ weekend camp for young people with Vision Impairment.
Following the success of the test drive day in 2017, the program has grown into a weekend long camp. This provides more opportunity to spend time with the dogs, and peers, while experiencing what it is like to live and work with a Guide Dog of their own.
What you will experience
- Participants will undergo a range of Guide Dog Handler-related experiences from which they might consider a Guide Dog as a mobility aid in the future.
- The opportunity to make well informed decisions around their mobility goals.
- Discover the wider range of services offered by VisAbility to assist with you independence.
- All activities offer participants a comprehensive and fun mobility experience, in a range of settings including navigating their way around the local area, a shopping center, eating out and public transport.
- Learn how to care for the health and welfare of dogs. A dog is allocated to each participant for the weekend, that they take full responsibility for. This is under the supervision of qualified Guide Dog Staff.
Who is this for?
Clients aged between 14 – 18 years, who are independent in their own personal care and are confident white cane users.
Test drive a Guide Dogs details
The camp runs from Friday 29th January until Sunday 31st January 2021 at the Country Club Villas, in Launceston.
Generously sponsored by Tasmanian Businesses.
We are currently taking expressions of interest so please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.