This hands-on, practical course will help you create documents that can be accessed by everyone and will:
- Outline the background to inclusive accessibility standards and their continued importance for all consumers of written information.
- Highlight the importance of considering the needs of your audience when you produce documents.
- Our Accessibility Consultant trainer will talk you through the skills required to produce documents in an accessible and understandable format, enabling people with a print disability and low levels of English literacy to access the content.
- Background to Accessibility and Australian Government policy/procurement.
- Statistics of Australian adult language and literacy levels.
- Understand how people with vision impairment or print disability engage with printed documentation.
- Understanding who needs Easy English
- Business impact of improving accessibility of printed documentation.
- Step-by-step workshop to teach best practice processes for creating accessible documents.
- Fundamentals of accessible Microsoft Word document creation.
- Understand the differences between Plain language, Easy Read, and Easy English; and when each is required.
- Step-by-step workshop to teach best practice processes for creating Easy English documents.
- Discover additional resources to help create documents.
- Document accessibility for people living with vision impairment and other print disabilities.
- Understand the challenges in implementing Easy English in your workplace
Who is this course for?
- Individuals and organisations with staff or customers living with print disability.
- Individuals and organisations that produce printed documentation for the public including:
- Marketing materials
- Fact sheets
- Policy documents
This course is suitable for people with an intermediate understanding of Microsoft Word.
Course material includes:
- Step-by-step handbook for creating accessibility within Word documents, including Easy English text and images.
- Tips and tricks to implement accessibility and speed up the editing process.
Workshops are held online for participants in Tasmania.
Group (2+): $990 (incl GST)
Individual: $247.50 per person (incl GST)
2023/24 workshop dates:
- Thursday 31 August 2023
- Thursday 9 November 2023
- Thursday 29 February 2024
- Thursday 9 May 2024
- Participants to bring a laptop or tablet with Microsoft Word installed.
- How to create accessible Word documents
- How to make a PDF accessible in Adobe Acrobat DC Pro
- Mailchimp accessibility made easy
- How to make accessible EPUB documents in Word
- How to make accessible reflowable EPUBs in Adobe InDesign
- How to make a PDF accessible in Adobe InDesign
- How to write Easy English
- How to make social media accessible
How to book training:
Please complete the form below and one of our team will contact you to discuss your requirements further.