This hands-on, practical course will show you how to create accessible EPUB documents with MS Word and will:
- Outline the background to web accessibility standards and EPUB files and their continued importance.
- Demonstrate how to create accessible EPUB3 documents using Microsoft Word, that can be easily understood by people living with vision impairment.
- Our Digital Accesibility Consultant trainer will talk you through the tools to use for each process and provide a step-by-step handbook for reference, post-course.
- Background to W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 and 2.1 (link opens in new window) and EPUB3.
- Australian Government policy/procurement
- Understand how people with vision impairment engage with printed documentation.
- Screenreader demonstration on inaccessible vs accessible documents to understand how screenreading and other assistive technology works.
- Learn how to use Microsoft’s inbuilt accessibility and template tools in Windows and Office suite.
- Discover free third party online tools that assess existing document accessibility and offer practical advice and processes for fixing them.
- Step-by-step workshop to teach best practice processes for creating EPUB documents.
- Correct text/background colour contrast
- Template structure and headings
- Font sizes and paragraph styling
- Using layout objects (lists, columns, text boxes etc)
- Image labelling
- Managing lists
- Using hyperlinks
- Converting Word to EPUB3
- Quick wins and handy tips
Who is this course for?
- Individuals and organisations with staff or customers living with vision impairment.
- Individuals and organisations that produce printed information for the public.
This course is suitable for people with an intermediate level of competence with Microsoft Word.
Course material includes:
- Step-by-step handbook to creating accessibility within Word documents.
- Tips and tricks to implement accessibility and speed up the editing process.
Workshops are held online for participants in Tasmania.
Group (2+): $770 (incl GST)
Individual: $330 per person (incl GST)
2023/24 workshop dates:
- Thursday 21 September 2023
- Thursday 30 November 2023
- Thursday 21 March 2024
- Thursday 30 May 2024
- Participants to bring a laptop or tablet with MS Word installed.
- Access for all
- How to create accessible Word documents
- How to make a PDF accessible in Adobe Acrobat DC Pro
- Mailchimp accessibility made easy
- How to make accessible reflowable EPUBs in Adobe InDesign
- How to make a PDF accessible in Adobe InDesign
- How to write Easy English
- How to make social media accessible
How to book training:
Please complete the form below and one of our team will contact you to discuss your requirements further.