This hands-on, practical course will teach you how to write Easy English and will:
- Provide background to some of the standards and guidelines for making information understandable for the widest possible audience.
- Demonstrate how to write Easy English documents using Microsoft Word, that can be easily understood by people with lower literacy levels.
- Our Accessibility Trainer will talk you through best-practice principles and provide a step-by-step handbook for reference, post-course.
- Learn about literacy levels and the impact on understanding written materials.
- Understand the differences between Plain language, Easy Read, and Easy English; and when each is required.
- Discover additional resources to help write Easy English documents.
- Making your Easy English document accessible for people living with vision impairment.
- Step-by-step workshop to teach best practice processes for creating Easy English documents.
- Composition of text using simple grammar and familiar vocabulary
- Font and paragraph styling
- Document layout and formatting
- Creating and formatting images
- Document accessibility
Who is this course for?
- Individuals and organisations with staff or customers living with print disability, especially intellectual disability, or people from a culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) background.
- Individuals and organisations that produce printed information for the public.
This course is suitable for people with an intermediate level of competence with Microsoft Word.
Course material includes:
Step-by-step handbook for creating Easy English text and images.
Workshops are held online for participants in Tasmania.
Group (2+): $770 (incl GST)
Individual: $330 per person (incl GST)
2023/24 workshop dates:
- (Workshop full) Monday 3 July 2023
- (Workshop full) Monday 11 September 2023
- Participants to bring a laptop or tablet with MS Word installed
- Access for all
- How to create accessible Word documents
- How to make a PDF accessible in Adobe Acrobat DC Pro
- Mailchimp accessibility made easy
- How to make accessible EPUB documents in Word
- How to make accessible reflowable EPUBs in Adobe InDesign
- How to make a PDF accessible in Adobe InDesign
- How to make social media accessible
How to book training:
Please complete the form below and one of our team will contact you to discuss your requirements further.